Many in our region struggle with hunger every day. As many as 1 in 7 people and 1 in 5 children in Northeast Tennessee are food-insecure meaning they may not always have reliable access to the food they need. —– Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap
Food Drives are an important source of food for Second Harvest. YOU CAN HELP – HOST A FOOD DRIVE OR DONATE TO A FOOD DRIVE NEAR YOU
Frequently Asked Questions
- Determine how and where food will be collected. You can use boxes, barrels or bins. Small to medium-size boxes work well for food drives. We can deliver barrels with at least 48 hours notice.
- Give us a starting/ending date and location of the drive. Once collected, you can deliver the food directly to us or call and we will come and pick it up. Pick-ups are coordinated into our current truck routes. This could take a couple of days depending on the service area location.
- If you are using our barrels to collect food they come with a poster or wrap that says “Food Drive to Benefit Second Harvest”. You may decorate the barrels by wrapping them with paper and then decorating the paper. PLEASE do not mark on the barrels or barrel wraps.
- Appoint someone in charge of logistics; i.e., barrel locations and the physical collection of the food. Set a goal: Decide how much food you would like to collect during your food drive. How many potential contributors do you have? How much can you expect to collect? Will you collect food or cash-or both?
- Consider holding internal competitions (between departments, floors, etc.) Award the winners with special recognition such as pizza, etc.
- Spread the word!!! Create a poster explaining your food drive and post it on walls, barrels, etc. to inform others. Put small fliers in paychecks, and mention in other communication with your group, like e-mails and newsletters.
Food items we always need include:
- Cereal/Rice/Dried Beans
- Canned Tuna Fish/Meat
- Canned Soups
- Spaghetti Sauce/Pasta/Noodles
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Tomatoes/Veggies/Fruit
- Mac & Cheese
- Baby Food
- Volunteers sort and box the items in the warehouse.
- The food is distributed to charities who serve those in need in Northeast TN.
- There is absolutely no cost to the donor or the charity.
Food Drives Happening Now
Stop in and drop off some non-perishable goods!
|Advance Financial||All locations||Will Call|
|Appalachian Community Fed. Credit Union||5034 Bobby Hicks Hwy. #2 Johnson City, TN||End of November|
|Blossman Gas & Appliance||1121 US 19E Bypass. Elizabethton, TN||Week of 11/21/2022|
|Blue Ridge Physical Therapy||3915 Bristol Hwy Suite 301 Johnson City, TN||Will Call|
|Central Elementary School||252 Taylor Town Rd. Johnson City, TN||12/9/2022|
|Eastman Credit Union||1510 South Wilcox Drive, Kingsport TN||11/29/2022|
|First Franklin Financial Corporation||3120 E Oakland Ave. Johnson City, TN||12/10/2022|
|Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians||1100 Woodland Ave. Johnson City, TN||11/19/2022|
|Grace UMC||104 10th St. North Main & Rock Creek Rd Erwin, TN||Will call/Ongoing|
|Home Trust Bank||Three locations (2 in JC/1 in KPT)||11/30/2022|
|Hometown Plumbing||3300 Browns Mill Rd. Suite 200 Johnson City, TN||11/30/2022|
|Hurd Realty LLC||110 Klm Dr. Johnson City, TN||Will Call|
|Wallace Nissan of Kingsport||2733 E Stone Dr, Kingsport, TN||12/21/2022|
|Lighthouse Christian Church||145 Shipp Springs Rd. Kingsport, TN||Will Call|
|Myers Chiropractic||111 Broyles Dr. # 6 Johnson City, TN||Will Call|
|Steve Huff Plumbing||113 Witherspoon Dr. Kingsport, TN||12/17/2022|
|Walmart Distribution Center||Will Call|
|Piney Flats Chiropractic||5661 Hwy 11E Suite 1. Piney Flats, TN||Will Call|
|Iris Glen Environmental Services||1705 E. Main St. Johnson City, TN||12/4/2022|
|Waste Management||1010 Jericho Dr. Kingsport, TN||Will Call|
Looking for Virtual Food Drives?