During FY 2018 the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee distributed close to 11 million pounds of food and 8.7 million meals to people in need throughout our 8 county service area in Northeast Tennessee. People in our area are struggling with hunger every single day. Food donations are always needed to meet these basic humanitarian efforts.
You can help ensure that more nutritious food is available for the community. Host a food drive or donate to a food drive near you:
2019 Food Drives
Newcomers Club, ongoing at club meetings
First Tennessee Area Agency on Aging & Disability, ongoing
Timber Lake Church 2/20/2019 until the barrel is full
State Farm-5583 Bobby Hicks Hwy. #201 6/17/2019-8/15/2019
Carson’s Insurance 1/15/2019 until the barrel is full
Automan Collision and Repair 6/17/2019-8/15/2019
TVA-Boone Hydro Project 1/4/2018 until the barrel is full
DS Smith Packaging 6/6/2019-6/29/2019
Frequently Asked Questions
- Determine how and where food will be collected. You can use boxes, barrels or bins. Small to medium-size boxes work well for food drives. We can deliver barrels with at least 48 hours notice.
- Give us a starting/ending date and location of the drive. Once collected, you can deliver the food directly to us or call and we will come and pick it up. Pick-ups are coordinated into our current truck routes. This could take a couple of days depending on the service area location.
- If you are using our barrels to collect food they come with a poster or wrap that says “Food Drive to Benefit Second Harvest”. You may decorate the barrels by wrapping them with paper and then decorating the paper. PLEASE do not mark on the barrels or barrel wraps.
- Appoint someone in charge of logistics; i.e., barrel locations and the physical collection of the food. Set a goal: Decide how much food you would like to collect during your food drive. How many potential contributors do you have? How much can you expect to collect? Will you collect food or cash-or both?
- Consider holding internal competitions (between departments, floors, etc.) Award the winners with special recognition such as pizza, etc.
- Spread the word!!! Create a poster explaining your food drive and post it on walls, barrels, etc. to inform others. Put small fliers in paychecks, and mention in other communication with your group, like e-mails and newsletters.
Food items we always need include:
- Cereal/Rice/Dried Beans
- Canned Tuna Fish/Meat
- Canned Soups
- Spaghetti Sauce/Pasta/Noodles
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Tomatoes/Veggies/Fruit
- Mac & Cheese
- Baby Food
- Volunteers sort and box the items in the warehouse.
- The food is distributed to charities who serve those in need in Northeast TN.
- There is absolutely no cost to the donor or the charity.